Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Seussy Afternoon

As a send-off gift this past school year, my wonderful classroom parents all joined forces and purchased an AMAZING Cricut Cake.  With all of the moving, and what not, I haven't had much of a chance to sit down and get crafty.  

Until today.

After a long and expensive efficient trip to Michaels and Target (arguably my two favorite stores in the universe), I was ready to get to it.  I have been wanting to make a Seussified wreath for my school puerta and had found one on Tangled with Teaching that I adore.  I needed balloons (in red, blue, light blue and white), a styrofoam wreath and ribbon.  Oh, and other little doodads for decoration. These included a wooden letter "A" and pretty tagboard paper for my Cricut.  It took a while, but I was happy with my purchases.


The steps:


{1}  Cover the wreath in felt.  I didn't understand why, but now I do.  It's SO much easier to attach the balloons to the felt than it is to the styrofoam.

{2} Cover in balloons.  There are several ways you can do this.  I have seen multiple blogs attach the balloons with pins.  I didn't have pins, and decided to use my hot glue gun.  If you use a hot glue gun, you need to press the balloons down firmly.  I reinforced the hot glue gun with some Tacky glue just to be safe.  The bow was easy enough to put on - just a classic slip knot.

{3} Experiment with the cricut!!  I got to play around with it and ended up creating this beautiful little sign to put on my wreath. I covered my wooden letter "A" with red and white chevron duct tape and VOILA!  Tacky glue it all on to my wreath and here's the finished product:


I love it.  I painted a little chalkboard square on to the bottom of my modge podged sign because I don't actually know my classroom number AND this way I can reuse it!

No comments:

Post a Comment